Friday, January 25, 2008

"Parables" lesson – adding colour








Sometimes I'm asked to add colour to existing B/W line artwork as will be the case with this lesson on the Parables. This artwork was drawn by a woman in Italy and made available to CEF. I scanned in the line drawings, separated the black lines from the white background and used Adobe Photoshop to add colour, surface texture, etc.. Depending on the complexity of the image and other requests that come past my desk, I can complete 1 to 4 pictures per day.


Note: previously completed Bible illustrations.

3 comments:

Bible artist said...

Hi Tim
I love the stone effect on the walls!
How do you do that?

Unknown said...

I regularly look for textures to photograph everywhere I go – weathered wood grain, brick walls, ancient hand laid stone walls, cobblestone path, sand, chipped plaster walls, grass, rusted metal, wood paneling, etc.. Any texture or (repeated) pattern that can be used to create a quick texture in an illustration.

For the stone effect and subtle wood grain in the cupboard, I created a layer (above the color layer) with a B/W version of a weathered plaster wall. The B/W version will be created by opening the colour image in Adobe Camera RAW or (on a rare occasion) in PShop using one of the B/W RGB channels or switch the photo to LAB color mode and use the "Lightness" channel. Whichever brings out the texture best. 99.9% of the time the "HSL/Grayscale" tab in Adobe Camera RAW works best.
note: Adobe CS3 opens .jpg in Camera RAW.

The B/W texture layer is placed above the colour layers and set to "Multiply" mode. I adjust the layer transparency to suit.

One of those shortcuts I use to speed up the process when time doesn't allow to paint a wall or wood grain by hand. :-)
--------
Here's one texture website to get you started!
http://www.imageafter.com

Bible artist said...

Wow! thanks for that Tim!
When I speak to people like you, I realize how little I use photoshop!

I would like to add the textures link to the 'Bible illustration blog' if that's o.k.