Monday, May 5, 2008

"Illustrative look" to photos in Photoshop

I've been working (experimenting) on using a series of Photoshop blending, editing, dodge/burn, painting on masks and other layer manipulation methods to make a photo appear more like an illustration. I will refine the process more. This is just an initial "test" I did using a photo of Rebecca taken last week on a hike near our home. I added a slight Sepia tint to this photo "illustration".
I created a custom Photoshop "action" to help speed up the process for other photos. This opens up more ideas and options for creating visuals besides the more "traditional" tools I've been using.

UPDATED 5/23: Here's two more examples with some refinements to the process. photo 1, photo 2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is cool! I was wondering if you had ever done a tutorial on how this is done...It would be super cool :) Nice work!

Unknown said...

Thanks. I sometimes do short tutorials but I would need to update the steps on this one with all the changes in Photoshop over the years.