Monday, January 24, 2011

The Call of Jeremiah (9)

(click on image to enlarge) 
The above illustration is for the Call of Jeremiah single Bible lesson (10 pictures).  This is the scene where God gave a warning and showed Jeremiah a boiling pot tilting from the north and explained how an enemy will come from the north and invade the country. (final printed image is 24x34cm)

The illustration was painted entirely in Artrage painting program with minor adjustments made in Photoshop.  If you want to try an excellent paint program I can recommend trying out the free version of Artrage (Artrage 2 starter edition).  I normally would only use Artrage to do quick (2-5 min.) color comps for new illustrations and complete the illustration in Photoshop and Corel Painter.
 
Here is the initial thumbnail sketch.



When working on this illustration I couldn't help but picture a specialty of Switzerland – cheese fondue!  With that in mind, I customized the illustration slightly that our Swiss friends will appreciate.... ;-)

3 comments:

Daniel Hardesty said...

Heh heh...good one Tim. Now you've got me wanting some fondue! ;)

I've been meaning to use Art Rage for something, just haven't had the time. But you're words are encouraging me to make some time to do so. The latest version looks great and if it's half as good as previous renditions then I know I'll love it.

Hope all is well with you and the family. Our prayers and thoughts are with you!

Unknown said...

Dan,
I mostly was using ArtRage for quick comp & color sketches (love it for that!) but decided to have a go with a complete painting. Photoshop, Corel Painter, and ArtRage each have their own strengths. My recent painting, Call of Jeremiah (6), I finished up the ArtRage painting in Painter to make use of some of the more refined brushes, etc. Painter has.

If you want a smooth crisp ink pen line, you'll appreciate the ink pen tool in ArtRage. This is something unique to ArtRage from PS and Painter. You can tweak how much your line drawing is "smoothed" – almost like a vector line but still preserves all the fine detail of the drawn line. Nice for us folks with shaky hands. :-)

If we had Photoshop CS5 at the office with the natural painting tools, I could see myself using PS for most of the painting in the future because it fits well with our workflow.

Overall, for great natural painting tools AND a great price ArtRage can't be beat. It's hard to explain, but when I used ArtRage, for the first time, painting on the computer was fun and felt more spontaneous. It didn't feel so much like I was painting on a computer.

Hmmmm..... Now if I could get my hands on the ArtRage app loaded on an iPad – now THAT would be awesome! :-) I learned how to make my own super cheap stylus sketch pen for the iPod Touch using hollow aluminum tube and cutting up a kitchen/bathroom sponge (used to gently clean chrome, ceramic, etc.) stuffed in the end of the alu rod. The sponge has a super fine material embedded in it that conducts between the body (hand) and touch screen. Works great.

Daniel Hardesty said...

Look at you! The "Mr. Wizard" of the art tools world. That's pretty neat about the stylus, I know for a lot of artists that was a complaint about the iPad...no input device they could use to paint. PS CS5 does have a lot of what you would want I think. Hopefully sometime in the near future you can upgrade.