Monday, February 4, 2013

Judges lesson series (2-1)

(click on image to enlarge)


Seems like yesterday when I began using our children as model references for illustrations (starting with Heather as baby Jesus in the manger).  Now I'm using Rebecca as an adult reference!

Being vertically challenged, I really need to use someone besides myself as a soldier reference because I kept redrawing General Sisera's raiding army so they didn't resemble a bunch of angry dwarfs and Hobbits.

My original idea was to create this same scene by moonlight with a range of blues and grays.  Then I wondered if a chariot would be crazy enough to fly through a street guided only by moonlight .  Easy to fix – I kept the light/shadows the same but turned the night scene into a morning/late afternoon scene.
Another change I would like to make is replace the spear in the hand of the foreground soldier with a sword ...but there are looming deadlines so on to the next illustration.

Illustrations are for a 6-part Bible lesson series on the book of Judges – Disobedience and Deliverance.  There are 36 total images with accompanying lesson text. Print size: 24x34cm. Tools: Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painter X, Wacom Cintiq 18SX; preliminary sketches were done using ArtRage app for the iPad.

©2013

No comments: